Want to know what I find seductive in both men and women? It’s not beauty, money, brains, style or long-stemmed roses. It’s competence. I love when someone says they’re going to do something and does it! (Makes my heart race.) I love when someone confirms the receipt of an email. (Makes me weak in the knees.) I love…:
- …when someone writes me an email that not only acknowledges my question or statement but follows it up with a complete, legible, spell-checked response.
- ...people that show up on time for an appointment. To me, that communicates respect for my time as well as their own.
- …short voicemail messages that get right to the point. Unless you spotted me on the cross-town bus and thought I looked like a gazillion dollars, please keep the message to the date, time and reason for the call. And leave a phone number to return it.
- …documents that are attached and embedded in the email. In fact, attach the documents before you start writing to ensure that you won’t forget to do it.
- … people who return my phone calls within a reasonable period of time. Common sense dictates that business phone calls should be returned within 24 hours.
- …pro-active, high-energy types that pick up a phone call when an email request has not been answered rather than stew and complain.
- …people who try to figure things out for themselves before asking for help. Between Google, Yahoo, Wikipedia, we should all think before we question.
- …hearing from old friends but please identify yourself by your full name on the voicemail rather than "Hi, it’s Me". I have a lot of friends named "Me" and it gets confusing.
- …a proper introduction that includes my name and my company affiliation whenever I’m meeting a client or a colleague. We should toot our own horn as well as the people we work with.
- …crisp, polished, well-organized notes after a meeting has taken place that not only documents what was discussed but details the action steps that need to be taken.
- …people with the confidence and the competence to have a meeting or a conversation without being interrupted by incessantly trilling cell phones or blackberries. Now that’s seductive